Thursday, June 16, 2005
Difficulty In Moving Down... And Out
Life's a bitch whenever I have constipated bowel movements. It's synonymous to the frustrating situation of a choked waste pipe: The inability to allow the smooth passage of waste that you desperately want to dispose of to the sewers because of a constriction in the pipe. Agitated and disgusted at the same time by the dysfunctional bowel, I'll normally try with great reluctance to let the problem take it's course. Lucky for me, constipation isn't a regular feature on my list of things to worry about.
However it did cross my mind several times that I could be struck by some chronic illness or one of those latent gastrointestinal disease like colorectal cancer, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) or whatever else that I cannot conjure up for the moment. I'll be shattered if that's the prognosis I receive from the gastroenterologist. I'm pretty sure that I haven't been dumping excessive junk food down my esophagus without due exercise. I have not been staying up late into the outrageous hours of the night playing online games or engaging in cyber sex. In addition I do not dehydrate myself absent-mindedly whilst carrying on my day to day activities. All of these doesn't add up.
Or maybe I'm getting too hypocondriacal. It's probably my imagination running wild, again.
Perhaps it's because of other factors at play. The onset of those horrid constipation episodes could be attributed to a sudden shift in my diet or change in my daily activities. Heaty dishes like nasi lemak or fried noodles and insufficient sleep sometimes? One of them could be the main culprit. But I do know of many who binge on nasi lemak and even laksa regularly but do not suffer from constipation. What about insufficient sleep? Still, my friends with 5 hours of slumber every night are not complaining. Furthermore the number of hours of sleep one requires varies from individuals. It's probably just me, my body and nothing else.
A friend introduced health supplements to curb those occasional crap problem. I don't really enjoy popping pills but it's only supplements; any excess amount will be passed out through the bowels. It should be really effective, considering the number of times that same friend PSes each day. Whoosh... Given that the method of consuming 3 litres of fluid daily, tons of fruits, bananas and papayas in particular, and greens - incorporated with frequent exercising - fails, I'll just give those pills a go. It's got to be a last second resort, before having to make the ultimate decision of visiting the you-know-who.
Thankfully, constipation has forsaken me for the moment. But from now till the next time it creeps back and turn my life topsy-turvy, I'll be watching my back.