Thursday, July 21, 2005
Golden Hits
As I listen to Alphaville's "Forever Young", I suddenly had this thought.
It's probably a stupid trend that is so bloody obvious that no one actually bothers to care to notice except me. Ever since I left the world of adolescence behind me, which wasn't very long ago, I can't help but feel like age is truly catching up on me. Well I'm not saying that I'm developing brittle bones and dementia or that sort. But it's just that the innocence and naivety that I once took so absent-mindedly for granted, not noticing the fact that it'll dawn on me one day that I'll be an adult and have to face the horrid realities of life, have already been superseded by something called responsibility. Just so you know, this isn't an entry about the philosophy of my life that I'm charting... I would think of it as more of a contemplation, as with previous entries...
Don't we miss the jovial and carefree yester years? When we were absolutely clueless - yet totally can't be bothered - about why our parents were so tired after a whole day of work although we believed that we, toddlers, played as hard as they worked and ran as fast they did to get us from the childcare centre after work? Subsequently, as we entered the teenage years we began to see light. Some flickering dim ray light. Work is stressful and stress induces fatigue. So what? We had tonnes of homework projects and tests every other week. Furthermore, we were made to participate in co-curriculum activities after school. How's that for stress? Oh yes, one last thing that I just happen to remember: uniforms (translate: unreasonably strict school rules).
Despite all these, in the end, we were still not in the slightest bit sure of what adulthood really was - until our turn, which will come. Ignorance was bliss.
But now that I've come of age, things are in the clearest range of view. I love school. I wish I can study for a living.
Any guess why people just enjoy the rustic sounds of the 50s to the discotheque hits of the 80s?
Once in a while I would find myself swaying to the tunes of Frank and Nancy Sinatra's "Something Stupid" or Toto's "Africa", considering that I'm not a fan of oldies. But such soothing and familiar tunes bring back nostalgic emotions, liken to the olden days... The past. Aren't we all warm-blooded creatures in need of sweet old memories and daydreams to keep our quick-paced and exaggerated lives in check? That we need to take a break occasionally and perhaps just relax into the couch and ponder upon our journey on Earth so far? Wondering why we did what we did and enjoying it so much, without a thought. Going back in time during those moments are reminders of the good old days of clueless fun: Flashes of faces I've seen, friends I've had, places I've been and things I knew I shouldn't have done but committed.
I'm not complaining about the ease and comfort of modern day life. Nobody would wish to return to the time where every single decision was made by one's parents without exceptions. But the simplicity and happy-go-lucky days of the past - that would never return - is so tempting. Simply because there just wasn't such a thing called responsibility, then.
Comments:
Post a Comment