Sunday, July 03, 2005

Of Birthdays And Chalets

The side effects include droopy eye bags and expanded waistline. I love birthdays and chalets, or birthdays in chalets. Whatever. The thing about birthdays and holiday chalets is that there're always plenty of delicious but carcinogenic and fat laden food around. The perfect way to eat yourself to an early death. But many people love it. I love it. Apart from the cake and catered dishes, I just cannot stop gorging on barbecued crab sticks, honey-glazed chicken wings and Taiwan sausages, all slightly burnt for added tastiness. Bon appetit!

But there's one issue. These delightfully sinful cuisine lack all the essential dietary fibre required for proper bowel movement.

Disregarding the possible presence of unsanitized utensils, undercooked or improperly washed meats that will induce bowel discomforts (LS/PS), the absence of dietary fibre in barbecued food is definitely not going to make any toilet trips thereafter any easier. I can foresee one or two very likely cases of constipation (GS - Gek Sai). How is it that so many people do not experience constipation when I'm so vulnerable to it... It happens to me almost everytime I return from such chalet-cum-birthday trips. So much so that it has spurred me to put my thinking cap on.

After a random analysis in view of this recurrent problem, I came to the conclusion that it's has got to be the insufficient consumption of fluid, coupled with a fibre free diet of crackers, tidbits and barbecued food that has resulted in constipation. It's been chips and wings and coke and crab sticks throughout the entire amount of time spent there. There's no more feasible reasons that I can put my finger on. Constipation is terrible but that's the price to pay for such an indulgence.

Few things can keep us awake throughout a night and feeling alert. Mahjong is the answer to burning the midnight oil at chalets. Once you start, you can't stop.

Although financial loss or revenue can fluctuate dramatically, it's one game that allows one's mind, mouth and arms to work in tandem. Think fast, act fast. Any hesitations might just change the winds of luck and fortune for many. It's a game that keeps players on the toes constantly, where the shrewd and adept dominate over the inexperienced and forgetful slowcoaches. I'm embarrassed to confess that I'm an amateur belonging to the latter group in all aspects. Nonetheless the excitement and anticipation that surrounds the players in mahjong truly are tempting.

For many the appeal of the game is mainly the winnings, but the company and gamesmanship are important complements. Who would want to play mahjong with someone who's temperamental and prone to frequent violation of even the most minute rules of the game? Then again, people of such nature are few and far between. I've no such friends.

In the end, it's all in the good name of fair play and having fun while gambling. I enjoyed my hitherto few sessions with my friends thoroughly. I'm already looking forward to the next game with them, every other day.

P.S. I still cling on religiously to the fact - or belief - that playing mahjong reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.

written & sealed @ 6:50:00 pm
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com