Monday, October 17, 2005
Beautifool Hopes
Foreword: It is in no other way more mortifying than to talk about the following pandemic issue on this site. I do hope this entry will shed some light on the pervasive attitudes of people towards plain Janes and the likes.
One thing is for sure. If I have the financial resources, I will definitely reserve appointments with top-notch beauticians.
I can only understand society's crave for symmetrical facial features (for guys); chiseled face, dark round seductive eyes, full lips and a pointed nose. This is the quintessential beautiful face. Not a blemish is present and a set of whites to give that value-added charm.
Obviously the omni-potent One was impartial while creating human. No face is absolutely identical (not even twins) and not everyone is born with a face coveted by fashion magazines. How many people are craving for such immaculately beautiful faces? How many people were rejected just because they do not possess The Looks?
There're always people who look better than you. Similarly, there are people who look worse than you. So while we pity ourselves for not looking beautiful, what about those who look aesthetically displeasing? Should we be glad that we are at least in the average category? Or continue to lament over the notion that our lives are done for with these looks?
Sometimes I do buy into the logical notion that one's character and attitude are more important than looks. The reason being that the former degenerate over time while the latter two are inherent traits (pretty obvious rationale, if you ask me). But somehow I do not feel consoled. I believe that many people of and/or around my age share such sentiments. Perhaps we're still young and superficial. Or is it just me?
Even if you are not beautiful, you're wealthy! That will definitely console more people than all the strands on your skull put together. At least if you're rich, you get to spend freely on accessories and whatnots to perk yourself up. Even better, get a plastic surgeon to alter anything - that's within his means - you dislike about your body. I wish I have that kind of money to spend on. At least I can change the pictures on my passport and identity card forever.
Even if looks hold the highest priority for some people, there's one notion that stands higher than that: Love is blind.
It should work for me, I guess.
Comments:
Post a Comment