Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Love(less) 101
Perhaps your time isn't here. Maybe you aren't prepared for it. But there comes a time when you feel that you need it. You yearn for it so much you can feel your inner self fighting with its alter ego - your true self.
One side of you tends to portray the image that you wish people to perceive. The other is your true self, hidden behind that masquerade played out to the outside world. Indeed, it's rare that one can behave as freely as he wants to entirely, and disregarding the public's opinion. Sometimes I wonder if it's human nature, societal influence or both, that causes one to behave as such.
Somehow I think it's a combination of both, the only difference being the extent of either.
Perhaps humans are so successful in mastering the skill of socializing in the animal kingdom that we were thus termed, social creatures - we do not like solitude.
The best example I think is human love relationships. It's a complex and perplexing relationship that defines the ability of two humans (monogamy) to cohabit harmoniously and treat each other with trust and good faith.
Love in this context relates to the affection and intimacy of two individuals who have agreed to come together. I don't think that anyone would disbelieve in the idea of love. Even verbally refuting the need to/for love is not sufficient proof to support such a claim. Humans are intelligent creatures. They can find out and remember what benefits them and what harms them. Relationships are sweet when one is in love. But it stings like hell when things go the wrong way. Somehow I think that people who disbelieve in love either had bad experiences before and cannot come to grips with them, or they just have not tried the taste of love and are too shy to try.
In view of that, I've come to this conclusion: One should take a long hard look and some thinking, before embarking on something like that. But one long held stand is: Love is not a necessity, it's part of life.
Comments:
Post a Comment