Thursday, May 24, 2007

Run To Surprise

I'm not here to boast, although it may seem like I am.

I thought today's Runteam meeting was just the start of another 3 month process of brainstorming and mind-wrecking, yet adrenaline rushing, preparation for SMU RunAbout 2007. Indeed the meeting was as I had expected. But what I didn't expect was something the guys did which I thought was really touching and worth remembering.

We were just beginning to start the meeting in the GSR as the last member entered the room with a Polar Confectionary box. I was wondering if it was meant for us to share... Some puffs or pastries perhaps (I was thinking with my stomach). Then one of the guys asked me out to discuss some stuff. I thought it was weird at first: what was so secretive that we couldn't say it in the room? Maybe some confidential documents... Conspiracy...

Anyway, while we were talking, 2 other members came running out of the room, presumably to the toilet. I thought they looked serious and apprehensive. Then again, my friend continued to ask me some stuff regarding last year's SMU RunAbout event.

Eventually we decided to return to the room. From outside, the room was dark. Who could have switched off the lights. Why off the lights? For what?

Upon entering the room, everyone (7 of them) shouted: SURPRISE! Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you... (the song)

On the table was a cake with lit candles. I thought it was meant for my friend (who talked to me outside) and so I just went along with the SURPRISE thingy... Then I realised that they were all looking at me, pointing at me, saying: "It's you lah". I was caught by surprise.

What the hell! Then the same friend who led me out said: "This week, right! Ha ha ha!"

Hmmm I thought I would be touched to tears. But apparently my nerves got the better of me and I didn't. Not even red eyes. Instead, I was dumbfounded momentarily. Gosh. The cake looked delicious. Mango fruit cake. Hur hur.

What a night. I can't help smiling to myself and everyone. I was truly touched.

Thanks to: Wayne, Augustin, Zhongyi, Kwang Sheng, Geraldine, Wei Chuan and Geng Hui.

written & sealed @ 12:04:00 am
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com