Friday, June 01, 2007

Superstition Alert

Many condolences to MJ and his family. Carrousel, Yen, MH & gf and I went for MJ's grandmother's funeral wake a few days back. It was quite a sombre occasion for MJ's family. In any case, they must have hidden their emotions really well as some of them were laughing and chatting; this was more like a gathering of sort.

In any case, we stayed for about an hour until we decided to leave before there's no more trains and buses. Before leaving, it's only customary to give the bereaved some token of condolences (obviously it's money in this case). As usual, I didn't bring money at all because I was in a rush and I didn't bother to get money at North Point Shopping Centre before attending the wake.

Without a doubt I had to borrow money. Yen was against the idea because it's bad luck for the borrower (not sure about the lender, though)! I am not one to mess with the unnatural so I panicked. I called my mum and she said it doesn't hurt to borrow since I didn't bring money. Carrousel's mom said it's ok to borrow as long as there's a change of hands of the money. Then following a short while more of panicking, I decided to borrow money from Wendy.

By this time, Yen was also panicking, because before she went for the wake, she already inquired about everything and anything that was needed to know or be done from her mother. So naturally when someone falls out of tradition... She's on Red Alert.

Since the money issue was resolved, we then turned to leave. But Yen said we weren't supposed to bade MJ farewell or goodbyes or whatever because of bad luck. We tried. I tried. But I still said goodbye. I blurted it out so absent-mindedly I didn't realise it myself. What a dork. As Carrousel and Yen were frantically trying to leave the place, MJ also wanted to say goodbye to them. But both of them just sped away...

For most of the journey back I was pretty paranoid as flashes of images kept popping out of my brain: falling branches, speeding cars that will charge up the curb on me, falling bird poo, miss the last bus, etc.

There was one last thing. I went into my home to get a bowl of water, then went out of the doorstep again to clean my hands and face. Hur hur.

written & sealed @ 11:30:00 pm
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com