Thursday, August 30, 2007

School's In

For once, in such a long time, I must shout this out: Lessons sucks!

It seems that most lecturers/professors this semester like to take things easier. It's already almost the end of the 2nd week and I have not even started on any project because the profs have not even initiated any (well, all but one)! I wonder if it's cause for concern because this shouldn't be happening. Judging from past semesters, I should be at school whining about brainstorming rather than blogging at home at this time. This can only mean one thing: it's going to be a hell of a hectic and packed schedule for the remaining weeks to come.

I'm taking a ridiculous module this semester called Ethics and Social Responsibility. Don't laugh.

Nonetheless I thought I should seriously take a look at the course content before making any opinion of it. After 2 lessons, I realised that the course content is boring, which is expected. But there's a problem with the professor.It's not because he's Indian. It's not because he's a Harvard Law graduate. It's not even because he's the most extreme IT-idiot prof I've ever met (he doesn't use PPT to teach or put up course materials online because he doesn't know how to use them, or so he claims).

The problem is, he's perpetually perturbed by the class's lethargicness and makes a fuss out of it every lesson, for at least 3 times. It's been only 2 weeks. I can't imagine what will happen in week 6. I'm sure he has his and the class' interest at heart when he said he wanted each lesson to be a class discussion. But apparently, the class' passivity irks him to the point of frustration such that he has to make it a point to reprimand us and emphasize that the lesson cannot continue if none of us speaks. What the hell.

But I thought it's quite amusing to see him getting all worked up and frankly, from the manner that he speaks in class, it's not easy to tell when he's really giving a lecture and when he's reprimanding us without first trying to decipher his accent (okay, I'm exaggerating about the accent part). It remains to be seen if the class will cooperate or continue to piss the hell out of him until week 15. Hur hur.

Other lessons got on pretty smoothly. My GE module has something to do with modelling biology and ecology models and applying them to the business world. My prof was a marine biologist. How cool. Sounds weird. I'm still quite vague on the lesson objectives but I'll get there, eventually. I think Wendy's also wondering if she made the right choice to switch to my class.

I guess so far the lesson that I've enjoyed most is portfolio management. The prof's really good with his stuff and so far (only week 2 I know), the materials' been rather new and interesting. The other 2 finance modules are already starting to get dry and boring, and not to say, more difficult. I'm just hoping the upcoming projects won't be too tough.

Maybe I should give it one more week before making any assumptions/opinions.

written & sealed @ 9:04:00 pm
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com