Monday, February 18, 2008
A Keeshond!
Several trips to the SPCA opened my eyes to the atrocities of reckless dog owners... Makes me ponder about my past experience...
In any case, it's been a fulfilling experience volunteering at SPCA, although I confess that I'm not a regular patron of the pet sanctuary. It is not what people would normally sign up for to clear community service hours; the timings are rather strict and the place is godamn far and secluded. But the upside is to see those canines again each time. It is just too bad that I don't have the time to keep one myself.
Just last week I came across a new member into the shelter. It was a Keeshond (Kayz-hawnd). Quite a rare sight locally since it has thick fur and is pretty large - not allowed in flats. I think I've a soft spot for dogs. Whenever I see dogs I will go gaga over them and swear to get a similar breed next time. This time, it's the keeshond. It was very quiet and didn't bark once throughout my stay at the shelter, while its neighbours were frantically barking their lungs out at decibels that could literally melt your eardrums. It seemed really sad, from those bubbly cute watery eyes, and I'm guessing it missed its owner or something. Perhaps something bad happened to it before it was brought to the shelter.
I did some research on the breed and realised it's actually affectionate by nature and a good watchdog (just like all other breeds - duh!). Also, the photos that I gleaned from the Net were somewhat different because at the shelter, its fur was trimmed to the minimum. It looked like an enlarged pomeranian on Internet. I thought the dog looked great with the short fur, though.
Then again, I seriously still am looking for a golden retriever or a black lab as a pet. But that's when there's someone at home to look after it while I'm working...
I'm looking forward to visiting the shelter again. But like any other visit, I'm sure the keeshond would not be there anymore. Pure breeds are usually adopted fast.
Comments:
Post a Comment