Monday, May 05, 2008

Nánjīng Nánjīng

The trip to Nanjing was well worth the extra premium paid considering that the plane ticket was bought the day before I flew over - Labour Day eve. Frankly speaking, I wasn't looking forward to the trip except that I could get out of SZ and the horrendous air that was creating all the phlegm and sniffing. But judging from the amount of photos I've posted on Facebook, it doesn't take an idiot to figure out that the trip was absolutely gratifying.

My initial concern wasn't the extra premium for the holiday trip or that my email inbox would explode (I left my laptop in SZ). It was the flight to Nanjing. The cheapest flights to Nanjing were provided by domestic airlines, so I got a RMB1380, 2-way ticket to the city of Nanjing (thanks to my resourceful PRC colleague). I have not taken Chinese airlines before so I was pretty apprehensive, despite it being a two-hour flight only. Nonetheless, besides the undelectable meal on-board and slightly rough landing, it was a pleasant flight back and forth in the end.

The planned trip to Nanjing would last 4 days and 3 nights.

The first day was spent having an expensive lunch (courtesy of my friend's parents) and a visit to the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Museum. As it was a public holiday, the place was obviously packed with people. Anyone who knew of the 1937 holocaust would have been astounded by the scale and monstrosity of the massacre and understand the deep-seated animosity felt by Chinese all over. It would be impactful to learn something about the holocaust before visiting the museum.

After a sumptuous dinner prepared by my friend's mum (6 dishes + 1 soup for 4 persons), we made our way to Confucian's Temple. There are many stories behind this cultural site; it is a romantic, sad, sinister and joyful place all rolled into one. The Qinhuai river, shophouses and palatial mansions transformed the night into a festive occasion as people teemed each corner of the temple. I was enthralled by the lanterns along the river, which reminded me of Mooncake Festival.

Day Two was spent in Zhongshan Mountain National Park, mostly. Sun Yat-sen's tomb, Nine-Story Linggu Tower and the Ming Dynasty Tomb (apparently it's one of the fake tombs built to protect the emperor's resting place, etc.). At night, we retreated to the gorgeous Qinhuai river. As the slow boat made its way along the river, I became in awe of the serenity and calmness that the river exuded. Although I had no idea what the hell the tour guide was talking about in her fast-paced mandarin, I knew that the river had been through many historical events in its lifetime.

I think I'm not a very "cultural" person. I'm more adventurous and interested in outdoor experiences. Day Three was the best day I had of the four spent in Nanjing. We went mountain climbing! The mountain is only 400m plus at its peak. I forgot its name but it's supposed to be the tallest in Nanjing city. My friend's friends came along and we reached the peak pretty fast, in less than 1.5hours. The climb upwards was exhilarating. The feeling at the peak was breath-taking. The journey down the mountain was adrenalin rushing because almost 70% of the path down was steep and treacherous. By the time we reached the foot, I felt satisfied, despite the perspiration and all.

By the end of the day, I think I really met people whom not many would have the chance to meet. How many people can meet several strangers simultaneously and become friends from another country, in a single day, while on holiday? I think I'm lucky in a sense that I met people who genuinely enjoyed sharing their thoughts and knowledge with strangers. I've learnt something about intercultural differences, some observations about people's lifestyles in other countries, and ultimately, made some new friends.

I left Nanjing with mixed feelings. I would miss the people I've met, food I ate and places I've been to. Yet I know I'm not meant to lead their way of life. Perhaps the rich history and culture had somehow left a mark in me. It was not just a holiday during Labour Day. I took away more than just what I could see from scenic sights and historical structures. There was something about life, something about people's attitudes and something else - humans as social creatures.

I will miss the people I met during this short period. Although we don't really know each other well, I feel like I'm parting with my close friends for a long time. Thanks to Elsie, Gu Li Nu Er, Jin Fan, Guo Zheng, Jun Jie, Jiang Hai, and parents of Jin Fan for being such warm hosts (hope I got the names right).

written & sealed @ 8:51:00 pm
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com