Friday, May 23, 2008
SZ11
Just to add on to the fact that things are cheaper here, I bought 4 DVDs after work. In total, I paid RMB73 (SGD14 odd). I was overjoyed and looked forward to watching them soon after (if I weren't watching tudou.com). It just so happened that the stupid tudou.com was malfunctioning halfway through the drama I was watching. So I decided to try out the DVD. Alas! To my horror, the stupid laptop couldn't play the DVD for some ridiculous reason. I refuse to believe that the DVDs were spoilt or anything because I bought them from a CD shop in a huge mall.
Anyway, I resorted to watching TV, despite the fact that there was nothing on TV except more news or discussions of the great work that the local government has done to preserve the integrity of the greater - or remaining - Szechuan population. I'm not exaggerating, but of all the 72 cable channels, two-thirds of the programmes are about that earthquake. Fortunately I found 2 English channels (thank goodness) broadcasting some American dramas. Occasionally I'll flip to the Hong Kong channels.
I'm not sure if it's the Chinese broadcasting station or the HK news station that's having problem feeding the news programme. As I was watching the "News Roundup", 5 minutes into it, the news was suddenly cut off by commercial. I thought it was just the Chinese station's problem (I'm hoping that the HK station has better technical expertise to make such broadcasting mistakes). Then after one commercial the TV suddenly flipped back to the news anchor, halfway into her news... Weird. There was once when the news was showing some overseas correspondent's report, and there were a couple of footages. Usually, after the last footage, one would expect to see the beautiful face of the news anchor again reporting the next news article, right? But this time, I saw the news anchor staring down in slight disgust at - which I assume to be - a TV screen somewhere nearby. Apparently, she wasn't aware that she was back "live" again... In any case, the news before that was about some Szechuan pandas being relocated from their reserves.
It can get pretty bored in SZ, especially when you're sharing room with someone else and there's no privacy at all. Sometimes, my only form of respite (yes, respite!) from the CNP is to watch TV in the living room because that's where he doesn't go most of the time (he doesn't leave the room most of the time anyway). I think I might need to visit one of the 4 Starbucks located just within 200m from my apartment once in a while to get out of the room. It's starting to freak me out. My life isn't just about looking at my laptop day in and day out.
(P.S. I don't hate the CNP. I just don't like to hang around too long with the same person. Imagine seeing the same person at work, home and outside, and on the bed).
Comments:
Post a Comment