Thursday, June 12, 2008

SZ17

Summer days and nights are pretty unpredictable. One moment it pours, and before you know it, the sun is out again, for the third time within the past two hours. But in it all, summer is but a time of predictably hot weather. I didn't believe I would perspire as much here since I've been living in the summer all my life back home. But I mostly end up reaching the office sweating like a pig.

My mum's been bugging me - as do all parents, no doubt - whether I miss home and everyone else back home, specifically herself. In any case, the answer that I've been replying is a flat "no". I think it kind of made her feel disappointed, but I think sometimes truth is more important than delusion, right? Well, apart from the highly censored media, the oily and salty food, and that CNP, everything else seems fine. I feel foreign but at the same time, excited at the prospect of exploring the different and new places here. Just two days ago, I got lost while trying to locate the darn Book City. A kind lady assisted me to my destination and we had a fine chat along the way there.

There are definitely times when I wished certain things could be the way it was back home. Like, there are no That CD Shop here selling the genres of music that I crave for. Even in bookstores, English books are quite limited in variety and range. It can be quite disheartening, especially since the TV is boring sometimes, the movie is exorbitantly priced and there isn't much to do in SZ. The thought of reading Chinese written books could actually turn me off so badly I'd rather surf Facebook a thousand times.

Whenever I walk alone here, I like to listen to music, window shop a little and watch people walk by. It's soothing. It is something that I wouldn't do so often in Singapore because there's really nowhere interesting to walk and surely, it's not difficult to run into a familiar face back there. I must be thankful that I have Internet access in the apartment in a highly accessible residential district. Getting to anywhere is almost a breeze. That is also why I like it here.

So I don't really miss home, but I do ponder about my bed, the swimming pool, mahjong, etc. in small bits. But I guess life is unpredictable, isn't it? I might get seriously homesick next week... Hur hur. Anyhow, I think I should turn in. It's raining heavily here so I'm guessing it'll be a comfy night on the sofa.

written & sealed @ 11:52:00 pm
|

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com