Friday, June 13, 2008
SZ18
I try to keep updated of the happenings in Singapore even though I'm overseas. The most easily accessible source of news is CNA online. As much as I would like to surf The Straits Times web page, full access comes only with subscription, which doesn't apply to me.
Usually, I would barely glimpse on the Home page on CNA before I click on the World tab. But today, the news of two deaths in the army caught my eyes. Like before, the two hapless soldiers died during training. While the previous deaths had to do with extreme training regimes, for these two soldiers who just passed away, one collapsed while undergoing harsh jungle orientation training and the other fainted during a two-kilometre walk training exercise.
Then you think about how those ah peks roughed it out in the 1970s and 80s. Everyone is certain that their training regimes were at least twice as tough as what it is today. And the people of my time eat better than the previous generation. All those tonics and vitamins and what have you, really! But the people today also lead a more sedentary lifestyle than those in the past. Who would want to walk 5 km to school daily if there's a bus that will take you there in five minutes? Also, there's the food that we consume. Chocolates, fried sotong, oyster omelette... People don't eat such lavish and unhealthy food in the past.
So it all adds up. We eat good food, we live the unhealthy lifestyles and we party like hell. No wonder some people die so easily. How sad.
On the bright side, maybe these incidents could mean less reservist training!
Comments:
Post a Comment