Saturday, July 05, 2008
SZ23
I never doubted that I would miss home because at some point in time I will. With less than a week left till I get back, I'm already looking forward to getting out of SZ. I'm running low on cash and I can't wait to get away from the CNP. Of course, there's the mahjong sessions that I have missed for more than two months.
When I first came to SZ I fell sick. Now, days from my departure, my throat is beginning to itch. I have been told to avoid the clinics and hospitals here. Apparently their form of treatment for most symptoms is to put the patient on a drip. But I think that's an exaggeration. Maybe something like that would happen five years back. But now?
No obvious reasons have crossed my mind but I've observed that various hospitals advertise on TV here. There is a humanity hospital, beauty hospital, male hospital, gynaecology hospital, etc. Each advertisement boasts a team of dedicated and skilled nurses, tonnes of promises of excellent hospitality and ends with a two-second take of a group of nurses standing in front of the reception desk with billion-dollar smiles (except for what seemed to be the matron who just didn't look like she wanted to be in the picture at all). Then I begin to convince myself that perhaps hospitals of SZ today has already improved a lot. However I suspect they use the same designer for their logos and same advertising company for their adverts. The overall effect kind of reminded me in a subtle manner that I am still in communist PRC; standardized colours and advertising style.
Another interesting observation here was that clinics were located in rather obscure places. You find a row of shops selling famous chicken claypot and seafood. But unexpectedly, right in the middle of the row, a dental clinic appears. What's worse is that this row of restaurants are found in the red light district. Just behind the row of restaurants, is a small fluorescent-lit alley. Along this alley, one finds many shop fronts that are well lit but without signboards. Instead, women clad in sexy mini skirts and revealing tops are seated on couches or chairs, waiting to tout for customers. If you get too close, the "mummy" will grab your shirt or elbow...
Anyway, I thought it would have been more appropriate had the hospitals been located somewhere else. Perhaps near the metros. I feel that there's a serious lack of clinics in crowded areas. Also, if one finds them in places like red light districts. It's not difficult for people to think of them as STD clinics. But well... Just a thought.
I just hope to get well before getting back. Maybe I should go search for that cooling tea No. 8 my colleague recommended.
When I first came to SZ I fell sick. Now, days from my departure, my throat is beginning to itch. I have been told to avoid the clinics and hospitals here. Apparently their form of treatment for most symptoms is to put the patient on a drip. But I think that's an exaggeration. Maybe something like that would happen five years back. But now?
No obvious reasons have crossed my mind but I've observed that various hospitals advertise on TV here. There is a humanity hospital, beauty hospital, male hospital, gynaecology hospital, etc. Each advertisement boasts a team of dedicated and skilled nurses, tonnes of promises of excellent hospitality and ends with a two-second take of a group of nurses standing in front of the reception desk with billion-dollar smiles (except for what seemed to be the matron who just didn't look like she wanted to be in the picture at all). Then I begin to convince myself that perhaps hospitals of SZ today has already improved a lot. However I suspect they use the same designer for their logos and same advertising company for their adverts. The overall effect kind of reminded me in a subtle manner that I am still in communist PRC; standardized colours and advertising style.
Another interesting observation here was that clinics were located in rather obscure places. You find a row of shops selling famous chicken claypot and seafood. But unexpectedly, right in the middle of the row, a dental clinic appears. What's worse is that this row of restaurants are found in the red light district. Just behind the row of restaurants, is a small fluorescent-lit alley. Along this alley, one finds many shop fronts that are well lit but without signboards. Instead, women clad in sexy mini skirts and revealing tops are seated on couches or chairs, waiting to tout for customers. If you get too close, the "mummy" will grab your shirt or elbow...
Anyway, I thought it would have been more appropriate had the hospitals been located somewhere else. Perhaps near the metros. I feel that there's a serious lack of clinics in crowded areas. Also, if one finds them in places like red light districts. It's not difficult for people to think of them as STD clinics. But well... Just a thought.
I just hope to get well before getting back. Maybe I should go search for that cooling tea No. 8 my colleague recommended.
Comments:
Post a Comment